Mission Statement and Philosophy
Since first opening in 1977, we at Atlanta Women’s Center (also known as Atlanta Women’s Medical Center) have shared one common goal: to provide women with confidential, dignified and compassionate abortion and reproductive health care. The choice to terminate a pregnancy is one of the most private and difficult decisions a woman may make. We recognize that no two women are the same and are dedicated to meeting and exceeding the needs of every woman.
We provide compassionate abortion care and reproductive health services, inspired by our belief in the autonomy of the individual, and our commitment to strengthening communities and building a better future. We strive for excellence in healthcare provision, and we work for reproductive justice and social change.
• Reproductive Justice : We provide our services within a reproductive justice framework, striving to give all patients access to the information and services they seek. We aim to reduce the barriers created by this country’s vast disparities in wealth and resources, and its political climate of hostility toward reproductive freedom. We strive to treat all people with dignity and respect.
• Compassion : Individuals and families making reproductive healthcare decisions deserve unbiased support and respect. We recognize that reproductive healthcare decisions are informed by the patient’s unique perspectives, as well as the patient’s communities, culture, and beliefs. We aim to meet patients where they are in their lives, respecting their experiences and perspectives, and treating them with compassion and kindness.
• Trust : Trust is an essential component of high quality reproductive healthcare. We trust our patients to make the best decisions for themselves and their families. We respect and support our patients’ decisions to parent, have an abortion(s), or pursue an adoption plan. We provide honest and medically accurate information within an environment of mutual trust and partnership.
• Excellence : We strive to set the standard for excellence in reproductive healthcare. We think regularly about what we can do better, and we work to make it happen. We are committed to providing services in a patient-centered manner. We partner with researchers and training programs to advance our field and to improve healthcare access and services.
• Self-Determination : The ability to decide whether to birth or parent a child is a basic human right. We respect our patients’ rights to make their own reproductive healthcare decisions, and we fight for the right of all people to carry out those decisions without shame, stigma or coercion. We encourage all our patients and staff to embrace themselves as loving individuals making thoughtful decisions.
• Social Change : Reproductive justice will not be achieved in this country without political and community action. We engage in activism as an organization; we offer our patients and communities opportunities to participate in activism; and we seek to learn from and support the priorities of our patients, communities and sister organizations. We are compelled to fight for improved access to reproductive health services and the eradication of stigma surrounding pregnancy decisions.
STAFF AND FACILITIES
Atlanta Women’s Center (AWC) has a highly skilled and trained professional team that specializes in first and second trimester abortion and gynecological health care services. Our Board Certified obstetrician/gynecologists have been providing excellent abortion care in Atlanta for more than 30 years and are experts in the field of advanced pregnancy termination. Our supportive medical and nursing team consists of Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), specializing in the field of pain management, Registered Nurses, Medical Assistants and Ultrasonographers. With an impressive safety record for almost 40 years, you can be secure in the knowledge that a skilled and experienced team of physicians, advanced practice clinicians and medical professionals will be available to you on the day of your procedure.
Along with providing the best medical care, we at AWC recognize that the emotional side of the decision to end a pregnancy is equally important. All patients meet with a patient advocate prior to surgery, during which you can address any questions or concerns about your pregnancy and procedure and post-abortion advocacy is also available at your request. Our experienced advocacy staff is professionally educated an trained and includes bilingual (Spanish-speaking) patient advocates. Some members of our patient advocacy team have been working in pregnancy advocacy and abortion care for more than 20 years at Atlanta Women’s Center, and are available to discuss special cases and needs by request. If you would like to meet with a patient advocate prior to making a final pregnancy decision, you have the opportunity to have options counseling prior to the day of surgery to meet with our staff and review all pregnancy options, including adoption and parenting.
The Atlanta Women’s Center facility is equipped with modern medical equipment and medical methods. As a state-licensed ambulatory surgical center, we are a part of a specialized group of medical care providers that are governed by a stringent set of federal and state health care regulations. Atlanta Women’s Center is an accredited member of the National Abortion Federation and a member of the Abortion Care Network. Atlanta Women’s Center is part of an elite group of medical providers that is highly regulated and committed to setting the standard for the highest level of personalized care.
Our facility is conveniently located in a safe and secure environment.
Confidentiality and HIPAA
Your privacy and comfort is our top priority. The Atlanta Women’s Center complies fully with all Federal Privacy Laws and HIPAA, and we train our staff in our confidentiality policies and procedures. We value your confidence and trust. For a copy of our HIPAA Privacy Notice AWC Hipaa Notice